The aim of the Cockermouth Flood Wardens scheme is to increase community readiness for future emergencies. The scheme is still in its early stages but some of the details of the scheme can be found below.
Role of Flood Warden
Preparation of Community
- To collect and update information from households in their allocated zone.
- Identify vulnerable residents who would need assistance in an emergency situation.
- Encourage residents to complete the Household Emergency Plan.
- Advise residents to ensure all household drains are clear and functioning.
- Observe that highway drains within the zone are clear and draining and if necessary sweep away debris
Flood Alert Situation
- Ensure all residents are aware of flood alert status
- Advise residents to commence their Household Emergency Plan
- Put in place flood resistance products
- If possible assist the vulnerable residents to put in place their flood resistance products
- If teams of volunteers arrive direct them to householders in the most need
At no time should flood wardens put their own health and safety at risk.
Their own home and family should be their priority.
- If the rescue services have arrived work closely with them and follow their instructions.
- If the rescue services have not arrived, advise residents to evacuate and head for the evacuation centre while still safe to do so.
- If possible keep a register of residents who have evacuated.